Dysport is an approved treatment in 69 countries and has been used clinically for over 25 years. This prescription injection has lasting, optimal results for approximately six months without changing the look or movement of the rest of your face.
Due to the loss of collagen and other protein fibers as we age, our skin loses elasticity, creating fine lines and wrinkles. Dysport® is a fast-acting, non-invasive treatment that reduces the fine lines and wrinkles and restores volume to the face. Similar to Botox® Cosmetic treatments, Dysport® is a neurotoxin that stops the release of acetylcholine and paralyzes the facial muscles, allowing the muscles to relax and the face to smooth while preventing new lines from forming. Within two to three days of treatment, there are noticeable results in softening and smoothing of facial lines, including frown lines, crow’s feet, elevens, and more.
Preparing for Dysport® Treatments
- One week before your scheduled treatment you should stop all medications and supplements that can increase bleeding at the injection site, as well as swelling and bruising of the treatment area. This includes NSAIDS and fish oil, among others.
- 24 hours before treatment you should avoid alcoholic drinks that may thin the blood and cause complications.
- Be sure to eat a healthy snack (avoid caffeine) before your treatment to reduce the chance of lightheadedness during the procedure.
- Be sure to allow for some recovery time after your procedure, no social or work commitments should be scheduled immediately after your procedure.
- Wash your face prior to your appointment so it is clean with no makeup or lotion.
- Dysport® treatments should not be used in pregnant or breastfeeding women. It is your responsibility to keep our staff apprised of changes in your health status and reschedule appointments as needed.
What to Expect After Botox® Cosmetic Treatments
Immediately following Dysport® treatments, you may experience small nodules at the injection site. You should not massage or touch the nodules; they will dissipate in a few minutes. For some people the needle injection may cause a mild headache immediately after treatment. You may take over-the-counter medications, such as Tylenol; however, avoid aspirin or NSAIDS that thin the blood and can cause complications.
Stay away from direct high heat for 24 hours following treatment.
The needle injection may cause a mild headache. This is normal and will usually pass within 36 hours. You may take over-the-counter medications, such as Tylenol; however, avoid aspirin or NSAIDS that thin the blood and can cause complications.
Within a few days
You may develop small bruises that typically disappear within a few days. You may wear makeup.
The injection sites
The injection site is cleaned with alcohol; if this causes dry or itchy skin you may use a moisturizer such as Vaseline® to relieve these symptoms.
Typical results from a Dysport® treatment last approximately three to four months. Results can wear off quicker if this is your first treatment, it has been a long time since your last injection, or your facial muscles are stronger than average.
How often should I get treatment?
For the best results, you should receive Dysport® Cosmetic treatments roughly every three months so that results do not wear off. Neurotoxin treatments prevent facial lines and wrinkles from forming, so ensuring you receive your next treatment before the first wears off will provide the best results.
How long do results last?
If you are on a regular treatment plan or your facial muscles are smaller or weaker than average, then the results may last four to five months, or even longer before the next treatment is needed.